When I was a kid, my teachers would often tell us that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Well, the truth is, there are stupid questions, and they annoy me to no end. They are just one of the many things that annoy me in med school, so I decided to share my top 5 list of med school pet peeves. Enjoy!
1. Stupid Questions. If you hear the professor contradict something in a slide, by all means, ask him to clarify. But if you just like to hear yourself talk, then everybody in the class will roll their eyes when you raise your hand. And, just for the record, any question you ask after a string of four questions in one lecture…is a stupid question.
2. Coming late to class. I don’t know how they manage it, but some people consistently come late to class every single day. And it doesn’t matter which lecture they decide to join us, they will still be five minutes late. And if there are only ten minutes left of class, wait outside, man.
3. Professors with unrealistic expectations. It happens every semester…I have a professor who doesn’t seem to realize that I’m taking any class but hers. There are only so many hours in a day…I can’t spend them all on pathology. There is a place for assigned readings from the textbook…that place is not med school.
4. When people talk in class. It’s 2013 people…we all have iPads. Just message it and shut up.
5. People who don’t take med school seriously. There are a few of my classmates who don’t seem to realize how lucky they are to be in medical school. It’s not just embarrassing if you come unprepared for your case presentation, it’s irresponsible and a little offensive. I’m not saying you have to know everything, but never use the phrase “I’m going to take a wild guess…”